Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Do as I say...and as I do. Ok?

I'll be making an actual post about a band later, but for now I just want to update you all on the best shows happening in Chicago in the coming month or so. Also, all shows I will be at--in case you want to stalk me, I make it easy for you! You're welcome.

TONIGHT
Subterranean
8:00 PM
THE SLITS



The legendary Slits playing in Chicago! I've always wanted to see them live, and I sincerely will feel bad for you if you are not at this show. Because you are missing out on one of the most influential and incredible bands in my book. My Book of Universal Truths. Yeah, that one.

The Slits' Myspace
April 18
Martyr's
8:00 PM
SAUL WILLIAMS


Saul Williams is ridiculous. Completely. A couple of my close friends have loved him for quite awhile, and they're the reason a started listening (thanks Jaci/Katie/Jess!)....and now I'm jealous that I haven't been listening since forever. His newest album, "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust," is available as a download for FIVE BUCKS via his website. It's produced by Trent Reznor (if you know me at all, you know my deep, ridiculous, slightly unhealthy love for NIN) and the title alludes to my favorite person in history, so I mean, come on now. I am genuinely obsessed with this album at present--come up to me at any given moment during the day, and chances are it's playing in my headphones. I kind of want to talk about every song right now, but I'm going to restrict myself and just make a whole post about it later.

Saul's Myspace

April 22
Reggie's
6:30 PM
THE FALL OF TROY
THE DEAR HUNTER




I know it's a Tuesday and we're all super-adults with super-adult jobs and all but I promise it'll be a good time, so shut up and go. PLUS Reggie's is home to Recordbreakers, a fantastic "Oh Dear God Goodbye Paycheck I Barely Knew Ye" kind of record store. You'll love it. Fall of Troy reminds me of Mars Volta but with more screaming--and I do love a good scream. And HEY DORKS! They have a song on Guitar Hero III. But please listen to more of their music than just that, ok? The Dear Hunter is a band I've just been introduced to, but it's always fun seeing a band live that you don't know much about.

The Fall of Troy's Myspace
The Dear Hunter's Myspace

Remember, THE BEST PART about living in a big city like Chicago is all the incredible live music, so come to these shows with me and SUPPORT THE ARTISTS! And, uh...do me a favor and don't judge me for dancing like an idiot. I tend to lose my mind at concerts...what are you gonna do? You're gonna dance with me, jerks.

No comments: