Friday, September 26, 2008

From A to C no B.

Originally, I had planned to write a review on the new Punchline album, Just Say Yes. I will leave it at this…. I Say Maybe. Better than 37 Everywhere but not as magical as Action, Punchline delivers an enjoyable album both with moments of musical genius and confusion. But hey! Sobasli is actually hitting notes instead of splattering them and you have the give the band props for not only releasing the album DIY but starting their own label as well! Watch the video and LOL a little bit.



http://www.myspace.com/punchline
http://www.merchline.com/punchline

I decided to move on to a more pressing matter- the economy. Fabtastic say what? Hear me out! Flipping through my television last night (after watching It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, of course) I landed on one of my favorite channels, CNN (The History Channel and Bravo beat it out). This morning I visited their site, as is my routine, and continued to follow the Wall Street damage and credit crisis plaguing the US right now…. And spreading worldwide.

The first thing to go in times of economic crisis are the arts. I am not only talking about funding for programs in schools and communities either. With gas pricing rising, inflation, and the devaluation of the dollar, it is becoming increasingly difficult for bands to survive touring. Due to the decline in record sales, labels have started turning to 360 deals to recoup the money they invest in artists; meaning that even some signed bands are even having trouble making ends meet during/after tour. Now is the time for fans to prove how much we love the music. Musicians need their fans more than ever. BUY CDs. GO to shows. BUY merch. I am not saying spend all your money on these bands, but instead of pouring money into a greedy Fortune 500 company put it back into the hands of the artists that you believe in. If you don’t support them, they can't make the music you love! Demand your schools keep their art programs! Refuse to let the drama department be dissolved while the basketball team gets new uniforms!

SUPPORT AND FIGHT FOR THE ART YOU LOVE, NEED, AND BELIEVE IN!


Because if you don’t….. who will?


Just saying..... yes.

No comments: