Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Secret Lovers Singing Covers

Other people write on this blog besides Dan! No! Really! I'm just going to ignore the fact that I've been slacking in my blogging and get right into it.

Cover songs.

I have such a love/hate relationship with them.

I know, I know, every band at some point in their career do a cover song. They're fun and a great way to get the crowd excited at shows. But I feel like 75% of cover songs are just awful. Here are some examples of the kind of cover songs released as singles that make me want to kill myself:

1. The cover song that sounds exactly like the original song.
So, you want to cover a song, do ya? Well, be sure to put NO original spin on it whatsoever! Especially if it was a huge hit--if it worked then, it'll work for a whole new audience now! This is the one that bothers me the most. Bring something new to the table! We want to hear what your band could do with it, not what's been done already (and probably better) the first time around.

2. The cover song that is just tragically horrificly badly done.
I'm talking embaressingly done. It always happens to be of an incredible song, too. Look, there are some artists that are just untouchable for me. Step away from the Bowie...slowly.

3. The ever-popular "ironic" cover song.
"I'm an artist that isn't really hardcore, so I'm going to cover a really hardcore rap/metal song and make it more my style, oh man I am just so crazy bananas!"

But see, then these amazing artists do these amazing covers and I'm left loving covers again. Let's talk about them!



Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb - Scissor Sisters

I realize that this song is breaking one of the big three rules (covering a super popular classic), but I don't even care. Truthfully, I HATED this song when I first heard it (and truthfully, I can't stand the original version. College pothead friends kind of ruined it with overplaying). Then, slowly but surely, it grew on me until this was one of the songs I was looking forward to the most when I saw them live the first time. And they KILLED IT. I felt like I was on another planet...They manage to make it completely different while still retaining a very unsettling feel.



Nine Inch Nails - Get Down Make Love

Get Down Make Love - Nine Inch Nails

Of course I included NIN, yes I AM predictable, shut up. Queen is another one of those "untouchable" artists to me, but I've loved this cover since the first time I heard it. Two totally different sounds. They don't do this one live anymore, but they used to--and there are some GREAT videos on YouTube of them performing it. Plus I just like to hear Trent say "You want my body, I give you heat. You say you're hungry, I give you meat."

...shut up, just...shut up.



Cat Power - I Found a Reason

I found a reason - Cat Power

Original song was by Velvet Underground, and I'm hesitant to say that I PREFER this version but....I prefer this version. Argh, no wait, I can't decide. They're both so good. I love her voice on this track and how it makes me feel like I've been punched in the gut, in a good way. That's right, at the end of the day, I'm still a girl who is suckered into emotional chick-on-piano ballads.



Mark Ronson and the Daptone Horns - God Put a Smile On Your Face

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face - Mark Ronson Feat. The Daptone Horns

Wow. When I first heard this song I couldn't pinpoint the cover...I KNEW it was a cover, but couldn't figure out who it was! Once it clicked I was very surprised--mostly because I avoid Coldplay (sorry, Coldplay, but I'm pretty sure you've put out the same record 4 times). This version gave me an appreciation for it I never had before, so there you go, Chris Martin. I want to rollerblade to this song. And yes, I realize how lame that sounds.

That's it! There are many more covers I'm into, but I think this is a good mix. Why haven't any death metal bands covered Disney songs yet? I feel this would be excellent. If these exist, someone tell me. I demand a bearded, tattooed man screaming the lyrics to "Prince Ali." Seriously.

No comments: