Friday, December 21, 2007

And I pretend to myself...

We've all been slacking. Especially everyone except Soulstar.

But I'm rectifying this situation, if not with my own frequent posts, then with numerous, wild threats to the other "contributors." Believe it.

So. I'm the kind of person that can be very obsessive with music. This happens in two ways.

The first is that I hear a song or record and don't know how I feel about it (usually I have very strong reactions to music upon first listen). This results in me listening to that track or album over and over again until I form a solid opinion, lots of times resulting in me realizing that I over the top love it.

The second is that I hear a song and it strikes a chord with me. It tugs at my heart strings just so, and I find myself listening to the song over and over and never becoming sick of it. I'm that terrible roommate or car trip buddy that wants to listen to a song or album on repeat. Seriously, I want to bake my upstairs neighbor cookies in apology for how many times I've played the new Gogol Bordello record. Sorry, neighbor. Also, your dogs are rambunctious and have loud feet.

The song I'm featuring this post is the latter kind of song. The kind of song that dug itself under my skin upon first listen and has stayed there. It's by the amazing PJ Harvey, and it's called "The Devil."



This song is from her new album, White Chalk. Very piano driven, melodic, different and wonderful. PJ Harvey is the kind of chick that has this out of control voice (especially live) coupled with the striking looks of someone you will never forget, ever.




Please note that she is making those noises at the beginning WITH HER VOICE. I mean, what? What?? Please check this out:



I mean, if I could make that noise I would just do it ALL the time. Without warning. For any or all or no reasons. Haha.

Check her out at:
http://www.pjharvey.net
or
http://www.myspace.com/pjharvey

Happy holidays, everyone!

2 comments:

"The Real" Dan said...

She sounds like the female Thom Yorke on steroids.

Charles Keatts said...

she is great and can't be well compared to other musicians except maybe patti smith or other great musicians who manage to reinvent themselves continually. I wouldn't compare her to even great bands who still focus on a certain style.